Saturday, March 26, 2011

On to the Next Bike for the MS 150

.

IMG_0099

This the latest of four bikes I’ve had this year and there is no turning back now. This is the bike I'll be riding in the MS 150. With just about three weeks left, I am preparing better than ever. In the process of my training, I have lost 20 lbs. Whohoo! I have 20 more lbs. to go in my weight loss goal. I hope to have lost the last 20 by the end of May.

But enough about my weight loss. I will go into a little detail about my bike and the journey’s I’ve been on during this training period with this and other bikes.

IMG_0094

First Ride
The first long ride I did was 10 miles, and it was on a hybrid bike. Worst decision I ever made was to try to train on a bike purchased from Walmart. My advice: If you ever decide to participate in long distance biking then go to a real bike shop, and not a department store, to purchase a bike. I made that mistake twice. I decide to purchase a road bike from Target, and the bike came with the front wheel bent. So I return that bike, and got a second bike from Walmart, and the chain broke. I was basically trying to convince myself that I could train on a cheap bike. Luckily I was able to return both bikes, and not hurt myself while riding on them in the process.

IMG_0097

Latest Ride
My last ride, I was able to get to about 36 miles before I called it quits. I loved every mile! But the next day, I only did about 10. This is perhaps the most grueling training I ever had to endure. But each weekend from this point forward, I will try to increase my distance each Saturday and Sunday leading up to the ride. My next training after the MS 150 will be the Insanity Workout Program.

IMG_0092

The best part about riding a bike for long distances is you get a different view of the scenery. When you are driving a car, you are moving too fast to see the details of what's around you, and have to keep your eyes in front of you. With biking, you are not going as fast as a car, and if you are lucky like we are here in Houston, there are many bike trails that keep you off the rodes so you do not have to share your ride with cars. Therefore, you have a better opportunity to see what’s around you. And it’s nothing like venturing to a new area and seeing what is ahead! This is the joy I find in riding. And I cannot wait to see what’s in store for the MS 150.

IMG_0090

I also rode with a co-worker of mine, Robert. We rode in an area called Kingwood, and it was awesome riding with another person. Again, just the different sceneries I’ve viewed increased my excitement for riding. Lastly, I rode through Memorial Park. They have a one mile loop that I used and travelled about 11 miles around the loop before I got bored. That’s when I decided to travel in other areas of the Park.

Three more weeks! I cannot wait. Hopefully tomorrow I can wake up to meet some of my team members for a group ride at 7:30am. Wait...7:30!! I don’t even wait up that early for work! But we shall see...

Update (3/27): I woke up today at about 12pm. So no early bike riding for me, but I still plan to do some working out today.


REIGN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the weight loss!!! Continued success on the training!!!

Towanna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...